20 Dec Joy’s Joyful Mince Pies: How to make Uniting resident Joy’s Christmas mince pies
While many of us avoid slaving over a hot stove – or oven – at Christmas; for others, baking is part of what makes Christmas ‘the most wonderful time of the year’.
Unlike Trish and Kaye who opt for fresh and fruity Christmas desserts to suit the warmer weather, this time Joy prefers the European tradition of Christmas baking – and is particularly known for her “very good” mince pies.
“The smell of mince pies cooking reminds me of Christmas,” says Joy. “If I can smell mince pies, it’s a very happy occasion.”
“Mince pies have a special memory for me, because my grandmother used to make them. And nothing ever went wrong with her cooking.”
“It seemed somehow this was her appointed role. She made most of the mince pies. That’s why I used to enjoy it so much – because I liked my grandmother very much.”
Joy’s joyful mince pies
Baking in itself can be an act of love. Mindfully prepared in advance, taking the time to deliberate over the perfect pastry can be a moment of quiet meditation in the midst of the silly season.
- Short-crust pastry
- Mince pie mixture
- Beaten egg for egg wash
For a quick, easy and delicious version, purchase frozen pastry and fruit mince from your local supermarket.
- Step 1: Cut pastry to size to fit tart shells and bake ‘til golden
- Step 2: While pastry is baking, use a biscuit cutter to cut more pastry into discs large enough to cover the tarts (use a Christmas tree cutter for a festive topping).
- Step 3: Spoon minced dried fruit mix into the tarts and cover with the pastry discs, then top with Christmas tree cut-outs.
- Step 4: Glaze the pies with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar and bake until golden.
For more tips, press play to watch Joy reminisce about Christmas baking.
Want more quick, easy and delicious Christmas recipes?
- Trish’s trifle: Watch Uniting resident, Patricia, share her tips for a delicious Christmas trifle
- Kaye’s pavlova: How to make Uniting resident Kaye’s perfect pav
Do you have a family recipe for festive treat that makes Christmas ‘Christmas’? Tell us in the comments below.
Get in touch
Find out more about Uniting aged care services and how our residents are enjoying life during the festive season, and every day. If you would like to speak to our team of experts call 1800 864 846.