16 Jun The magnificent seven: health tips for adults
Staying healthy as an adult can be fun rather than a chore. Check out our list of tips to help get you started.
- Start a new regular activity. Trying something new can sharpen your brain and expand your social circle. It can break old habits and refresh you for your daily routine. Consider community work or volunteering. It can make you feel good if you have a positive impact on other people.
- Live in the moment. Practice mindfulness, which is about being in the moment and simply letting things be. Forget about the past or the future, and just focus on simple things – the air, the sky, the sun, or anything which is just easy. Deep breathing exercises can calm you and relieve stress and tension.
- Try a healthy new food. You might surprise yourself by trying a healthy new food. You never know, it could become a favourite part of your diet. Perhaps pop into your nearest health food store or search for new ideas online. TV cooking shows can also be a great source of inspiration.
- Exercise the way you want. Choose a form of exercise that you enjoy. The great thing about exercise is that it strengthens your body, helping to reduce injury. It puts you in a good mood too! Anything that strengthens muscles or has aerobic benefits is ideal. Walking, running, swimming, cycling and dancing are some great examples. Start small and set your own goals.
- Get on top of stress. Situations or events aren’t themselves stressful- it is your reaction to it. Learn what triggers your stress and find a way to avoid it where possible. Keep a balanced outlook and consider yoga or meditation. A good laugh is wonderful for staying positive.
- Ask for help. A problem shared is a problem halved. Often we find our burdens decrease when we find a willing ear to listen. You might find you now have a fresh way to tackle a problem or issue, or that others are experiencing the same thing, which can make you feel less like you are on your own.
- Make time to do nothing. Today’s society places great importance on being busy all the time. However, there is nothing wrong with resting and being still. In fact, we need it to recharge and reconnect to the world around us. Find a quiet spot where you can lie, rest and just contemplate. It could be outside on a nice day, or even just in your home. You’ll feel more relaxed and calmer as a result.
It’s never too late to start. We wish you great health!